Susan has seven years' experience working one-on-one with people of all ages on reading and writing remediation strategies. She was a professional writer, editor, and theatre artist for twenty years before becoming an educational consultant. She brings a sense of fun to sessions, emphasizing hands-on and physically active learning, using the arts, such as drawing, music, or theatre.
Susan is supportive, patient, optimistic, assertive, and flexible.
Location: Susan's office is in the Noe Valley neighborhood, at 1102 Sanchez, between 24th and Jersey Streets, in San Francisco
- Educational Therapist for young people, providing learning support in reading, writing, and organizational skills
- Writing Coach for adults—consulting re: job-related writing; dissertations; writing for personal growth; fiction, plays, poetry, articles, or essays
- Writing Mentor volunteer at 826 Valencia
- Freelance Copy Editor for Oxford University Press
- Former Literacy Specialist at E.R. Taylor School
- Former Reading Instructor at Reading Revolution Center and Active Reading Clinic
- Former Editor for LexisNexis Publishers, Harper & Row Publishers (now Harper Collins), and UC San Francisco Medical Center
Training and Education
- M.A., Theatre Education, New York University
- B.A., English; B.A., Dance, UC Riverside
- Educational Therapy Certificate,
UC Santa Cruz Extension
- Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes; Reading Revolution Program; Handwriting without Tears; Bay Area Writing Project; Strategic Instruction Model (SIM)